Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Accessory: Ichabod



"Ichabod" Plague Doctor mask by Tom Banwell

I've always found plague masks fascinating.  On one hand, they have a grounding in actual history; one the other hand, they look like something out of a fantasy novel.  They were worn by physicians attending plague victims, which ought to make them a sign of peaceful intentions, and yet, there is something singularly terrifying about the faceless, avian aspect of a person wearing one.

Few people on the net do plague masks as well as leather worker Tom Banwell.  Here's an example of one he did last year that I think represents his best work.  If you like it, make sure you sure on over to his blog to check out the rest of his work.



"I've made a simple one inch wide band and temporarily attach it to the mask to see how the beak will sit on the face."

"That will basically work, but I need a nicer way to attach it, and I need a strap running over the head (front to back) to keep the beak cantilevered and off of the chin. Here I've added tabs to the leather mask to accomplish both things."

"I've decided to make this mask white (a classical plague doctor mask color), and so I paint it with acrylic latex paint. I also finish the eye and beak hardware and attach them to the mask."

"And here it is with my first attempt at the straps. I think that they are too busy, and so will simplify them before moving on. The challenge is to have it be adjustable, both circumferentially around the head, and over the top of the head."

No comments:

Post a Comment